Ocasio-Cortez returns to bartending in support of tipped workers

Ocasio-Cortez returns to bartending in support of tipped workers

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez returned to her roots as a bartender Friday night to pour drinks in support of tipped workers and a $15-minimum wage. Ocasio-Cortez worked as a bartender in New York before launching her Democratic congressional bid last year. Employers in 43 states are allowed to pay workers below the federal minimum wage if they earn the full minimum wage counting tips.

Simone
Simone
Ryan M
Ryan M 1 year

Does she realize that raising the minimum wage will put many waitresses out of work?

Stephen
Stephen 1 year

Guess she missed her old job? In all seriousness though, minimum wage is supposed to be an entry level job that you work your way out of. Just ask anyone in Seattle how the $15/hr minimum wage has gone, they will tell you about all the good people that had to be let go because the company couldn't afford to pay them.

User Inactive
User Inactive 1 year

Yes let's raise the minimum wage until companies lay off 75% of their staff and make the remaining 25% work even harder to keep their unfulfilling dead-end job, meanwhile the 75% who were laid off will be forced to depend on government assistance which is already stretched thin by giving economic migrants financial services on top of the citizenry... Fuck Socialism.

O'Brien
O'Brien 1 year

Probably sensible that she keeps her skills current.

Havoc44
Havoc44 1 year

most useful she's been in years

The Oracle8191
The Oracle8191 1 year

After which she was promptly fired. Again.

Sir_Kutz
Sir_Kutz 1 year

She waits tables because that’s what she’s good at. Get me a beer wench!

King Brutal
King Brutal 1 year

Oh Seattle...why is no one paying attention to you.

Petri Fide
Petri Fide 1 year

Need to keep those skills fresh for her post congress days

Brian of Life
Brian of Life 1 year

My God, the smug look on her face in that picture....

Vetle Tollaksen
Vetle Tollaksen 1 year

that is a classy, humble move, imho. very progressive.

Jesse McCree
Jesse McCree 1 year

Dear Alexandria, I have a solution to the minimum wage problem. Train up on welding, plumbing, carpentry, and maintenance. You'd be amazed how much we grease monkies make in an hour and it doesn't require raising the minimum wage. For example: Starting wage at most major airlines like American Airlines as a certified aircraft mechanic is around $30/hr plus benefits. Let's see if your job as a barista can top that. PS: Oh wait, didn't your "rough draft" of the GND said to make aviation obsolete?

Sean Christopher
Sean Christopher 1 year

Doing what she does best lol

Steven Cline
Steven Cline 1 year

Not a national issue.

Troy christian
Troy christian 1 year

Bartenders don’t make minimum wage AOC! You know that is a lie. I am a VP for a large Hotel and Restaurant company and am responsible for many labor budgets. Bartenders are typically the highest paid people in the restaurant when you factor tips. Maybe she should go work the counter at McDonalds with the other 18 year olds to really prove her point. Then she should have to write a proforma for an actual restaurant t with labor, PTEB, occupancy, taxes and expenses. Sheesh, what a dope.

DMX82
DMX82 1 year

Remove tips, raise wages.

AaveKarhu
AaveKarhu 1 year

I say raise the minimum wage for tipped workers to $10/hour, and stop giving them tips. From now on, I'm going to ask my server if they make a "tipped" wage, or a regular wage. if they say they make $15 minimum wage, they'll get no tip because they no longer need it.

John Curtin
John Curtin 1 year

Being 'paid' minimum wage, while being paid for time considered working creating political influence as a state member, niceeee

John Doh
John Doh 1 year

Alternative Headline: AOC returns to only career which she has any experience.

Just An Opinion
Just An Opinion 1 year

If we raise the minimum wage, then companies will put up prices, and customers will lose the buying power to be able to tip based upon service quality. The whole point of a tip based system is people who are good at their job get paid more than people who suck. Why should the good folks have their pay slashed for the sake of the bad? Also, tangentially related: - All employers should be required to check a prospective employees right to work (citizenship/visa) before hiring them. - And existing employees on visas should be checked annually. - And it should be mandatory for anyone found to be illegal from these checks, to be reported to ICE. - And failure to do these checks or report illegals, should result in a fine of 10% of their annual profits. Too many illegals in retail and hospitality. Edit: spell check

Top in Politics
Get the App